Vemurafenib (PLX4032) for Metastatic Melanoma

PLX4032 is a next generation oral BRAF inhibitor for the treatment of melanoma. Data from the BRIM 2 clinical trial of previously untreated melanoma patients showed that  53% of the patients experienced tumor shrinkage compared with only 5% for standard chemotherapy.  At the time of this report, median overall survival (OS) had not been reached; however, at 12 mths, 58 % of patients treated with PLX4032 were alive.

I like this approach because it shows us how effective targeted approaches can be. But more importantly,  because they selectively target tumor cells, they do not produce the adverse effects of chemo/radiation therapy and therefore  have a quicker transition to clinical practice.

Plexxikon Reports Positive Data from Phase 3 and Phase 2 Trials of Vemurafenib (PLX4032).

UPDATED RESULTS

 

NEW!  METASTATIC MELANOMA POP NOW AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD


Speak Your Mind

*