Clinical Trials Myths and Facts
Are Clinical Trials Worth It?
Explore these common myths about clinical trials so that you can make an educated and informed decision about whether a clinical trial is right for you. You can also read our success stories from cancer patients who’ve benefitted from clinical trials.
Clinical Trials Myths
- Myth: Clinical trials are inferior to standard care.
- Fact: Any clinical trial for cancer will have benefits greater than standard care.
- Clinical trials for cancer provide patients with superior imaging, molecular testing, advanced chemotherapy, and surgery protocols, compared to those offered in public or standard medical facilities.
- The drug being tested in a clinical trial has already gone through rigorous testing to demonstrate that it’s superior to standard treatment – and should, therefore, be the preferred choice for initial treatment.
- Myth: Patients might receive a placebo instead of actual treatment.
- Fact: All clinical trials for cancer use standard treatment in place of the placebo.
- At the very least, you will receive the same treatment offered by your primary oncologist (and with care that is superior to what you’d receive in standard care).
- CTOAM does not enrol patients in blinded trials unless we are also monitoring their treatment progress with regular liquid biopsy tests.
- This immediately shows us how well the treatment is working for you, and enables us to make quick adjustments to the treatment you are receiving – so no time is wasted on a medication that isn’t right for you.
- Myth: Clinical trials for cancer are only used as a last resort.
- Fact: You’ll at least receive the usual standard treatment, so it’s a great first choice.
- With the standard approach to cancer treatment in Canada, many doctors do not have the time or knowledge required to connect their patients with clinical trials until they are desperate for new treatment avenues.
- However, it’s entirely possible for cancer patients to access clinical trials as a first choice cancer treatment option, as opposed to a last resort, with an advocate.
- This enables you to get the best possible treatment option as your first line of treatment, increasing your chances of a successful outcome.
- Additionally, this prevents you from wasting time enduring unnecessary standard chemotherapy and radiation without success.
- CTOAM highly recommends clinical trials as a first line of treatment. However, clinical trials can be accessed at any stage.
- Myth: Patients have to travel to participate in clinical trials for cancer.
- Fact: Patients can often enrol in clinical trials regardless of where the main trial site is.
- Many clinical trials for cancer enable patients to receive care at a facility close to their home, and sometimes even from their own oncologist.
- CTOAM always tries to find clinical trials for our clients that are as close to their home, and as close to free, as possible.
- Myth: Clinical trials are dangerous and not worth the risk.
- Fact: Clinical trials are very safe and extremely beneficial.
- By the time a treatment gets to the clinical trial stage, it has already been demonstrated to be more effective than current standard treatment.
- The main goal of the trial is to strengthen the evidence-base for a particular course of treatment.
- In addition to gaining access to targeted therapy, patients also receive superior care in regard to diagnostics and imaging during their time in the clinical trial.
- Clinical trials are often a less expensive way for cancer patients to get the personalized cancer treatment they need.
If you have any questions about clinical trials, please contact us today. Our care team is ready to answer all of your questions and make sure that you have access to the most advanced tests and treatments possible – for as close to free, and as close to home, as possible.
Peace of mind, minimal interruption of daily life, improved quality of life, and increased life-span are the natural outcomes of CTOAM’s innovative, personalized cancer research, treatment options, advocacy, and treatment monitoring.
Register for a Precision Second Opinion to discover how we can help you to reduce stress and dramatically increase treatment success.
Precision Oncology: The Future of Cancer Treatment, Now.