Current Medical Science Data shows that oftentimes, patients in clinical trials receive superior treatment benefits over those of standard cancer treatment.
Clinical trials for cancer represent the leading-edge of medical science and many have solid data showing benefits far beyond those of the drugs and treatments offered through the standard Canadian medical protocol for cancer treatment. However, less than 5% of adults diagnosed with cancer each year are enrolled in clinical trials due largely to misinformation and a lack of clear channels of access.
While there are many beneficial treatment approaches being offered, showing survival rates better than those of standard cancer treatment options, through clinical trials, 8 out of 10 patients are unaware that this is a viable option for them and therefore are missing out on potentially life-saving options.
You might be wondering: If clinical trials for cancer are offering treatment options above and beyond the standard treatment, why are more patients not clamouring to utilize this valuable resource?
This question was asked in 2011 by researchers via surveys and focus groups and the data showed two primary barriers to patients accessing these leading edge treatment options:
1. The vast majority of patients are unaware of clinical trials for cancer (for their particular form of cancer); and
2. Doctors are not enrolling patients due to a lack of time, staffing, funding, and resources on their part. Indeed, enrolling a patient in a clinical trial requires a significant amount of time and resources for physicians.
There are some additional and significant myths about clinical trials for cancer held by many patients and even some physicians, such as:
Myth#1: Clinical trials are inferior to standard care.
Truth: The reality is, in clinical trials for cancer, patients are provided with superior imaging, molecular testing, surgical, and advanced chemotherapy protocols not typically offered in public medical facilities.
Additionally, in order for clinical trials for cancer treatment to be operative, they must pass rigorous scientific scrutiny to show that the approach being tested is superior to standard treatment, and is therefore the preferred choice for initial treatment.
So, any clinical trial you take part in is going to have benefits greater than those of standard cancer treatment. This in and of itself is a good reason to explore any clinical trials that might be available to you at this time.
Myth#2: Patients might receive a placebo instead of actual treatment.
Truth: The fact is, in clinical trials for cancer, standard treatment is used in place of the placebo, so at very least, the patient will receive the treatment offered by their primary oncologist.
More importantly, we do not enrol patients in trials with placebo groups unless we are also monitoring your treatment progress with Liquid Biopsy Testing (ctDNA, cfDNA) and we can therefore tell very quickly, with a simple blood test, how well the treatment you are receiving is working for you. This way we can make immediate adjustments to the treatment you are receiving and no time is wasted on a medication that is not right for you.
Myth#3: Clinical trials for cancer are only used if the initial treatment fails.
Truth: Again, in reality, the minimum treatment you will receive on any clinical trial for cancer is standard treatment.
And in current times patients can access clinical trials as a first choice cancer treatment option rather than a last resort. Researchers and drug companies want as much data as they can get showing the benefits of their treatment to the patients who need it. As such they are eager and willing to support patients who meet the criteria for the specific mutation that the drug is targeting to access their trial as quickly as possible.
This means that you can access the best possible treatment option for you immediately rather than having to go through unnecessary standard chemotherapy and radiation and lose out on many months of opportunity for effective treatment. You can get the best treatment for you, as per current scientific data, to start with, not as a last resort. And to us that just makes sense!
Myth#4: Patients would have to travel to participate in clinical trials for cancer.
Truth: Often times our patients are able to enrol in clinical trials for cancer and, regardless of where the main trial site is, they are able to receive care at a facility closer to home, if not from their own oncologist.
To Recap – The Benefits of Enrolment in Clinical Trials for cancer are as Follows:
- Clinical trial patients are provided with superior imaging, molecular testing, surgical, and advanced chemotherapy protocols not typically offered in public medical facilities.
- In order for a clinical trial to be operative, it must pass rigorous scientific scrutiny to show that the approach being tested is superior to standard treatment, and is therefore the preferred choice for initial treatment.
- In any clinical trials for cancer, standard treatment is used in place of the placebo, so at very least, the patient will receive the treatment offered by their primary oncologist.
- Patients can access clinical trials for cancer as a first choice cancer treatment option rather than a last resort.
- Patients can enrol in clinical trials for cancer regardless of where the main trial site is, and they are often able to receive care at a facility closer to home, if not from their own oncologist.
If you would like to find out more about clinical trials for cancer and the best leading edge treatment options for you please call us at 778-990-4606 or fill in our contact form and we will get back to you right away.
There is so much more that you can do to increase the success of your cancer treatment. Let us help you get the best cancer treatment possible so you can get on with your life.